Accident at sea
If you have sustained an injury as a result of an accident or had an illness whilst on a boat, ship, cruise ship, pleasure boat, etc you could be entitled to make a claim for accident at sea compensation.
Staff and operators have a duty of care to ensure that their passengers are safe from injury and they must reduce the risk of passengers sustaining injuries or becoming ill on their vessel. If they fail to meet the responsibilities to their passengers the result of injuries and illness sustained by passengers can be devastating. If you have suffered an injury or illness whilst on a boat, you may be able to make a claim for accident at sea compensation against the owner of the boat or if an operator is involved you may able to make a claim against them under The Package Travel, Package Holiday and Package Tour Regulations 1992.
Important note: there is a strict limitation period for making a claim for an injury or illness suffered whilst at sea. You must make an accident at sea claim within 2 years from the date of disembarkation of the boat, ship, cruise ship, pleasure boat, etc.
The most common types of accidents to occur on boats or ships are as follows:
- Trips over suitcases
- Slips on wet floors
- Falling overboard
- Accidents whilst embarking and disembarking boats or ships
- Accidents in the accommodation on the boat or ship
- Suffering from food poisoning e.g. E-coli, Salmonella, etc
Making your accident at sea claim
Things to do if you have sustained an injury or suffered an illness whilst on a boat or ship:
- Ensure that the injury is reported to a member of staff on the boat or ship
- Seek medical advice/treatment
- Obtain evidence e.g. photographs of where your accident happened, equipment causing your accident, make a note of the presence of wet floor signs if you have slipped on water, etc
- Obtain witnesses’ contact details, if applicable
- Contact Latimer Lee Solicitors Limited
You can also claim for other losses incurred as a result of your accident e.g. travel expenses, loss of earnings, medical fees, etc
Our solicitors at Latimer Lee Solicitors Limited have vast experience of dealing with all types of injuries and illnesses suffered on boats, ships, cruise ships, pleasure vessels, etc. Contact us today to see how we can help you make a successful accident at sea compensation claim. Our services are No Win No Fee so you won’t lose a penny when making your claim.