Family Law

Get in touch

If you need legal advice, fill out the form below and one of our legal experts will get back to you as soon as possible.

Cohabitation Solicitors – Legal Services and Advice

At Latimer Lee solicitors we can also advise and assist unmarried couples who are separating and the financial consequences which arise from separation.

Where parents are not married or civil partners, it is always still important to consider the financial arrangements for the children. Often this is left to the Child Support Agency to calculate, but in certain cases the children are entitled to financial provision from the wealthier parent, for example, to assist with accommodation, school fees, care and so on. On certain occasions, this can also include the provision of maintenance when a child goes on to university or further education.

There is a common belief that if you live with someone for a certain length of time you become “common law man and wife”. This is not correct, there is no such concept.

There is no one single piece of legislation that a separating partner can use in order to resolve property, financial and children issues on the breakdown of the relationship. Therefore, if you are thinking about cohabiting or buying a property together you should seek advice. A Cohabitation Agreement or Trust Deed can save a lot of heartache and cost upon any later breakdown. These can regulate not only how assets and income are to be dealt with during the relationship but also in the unfortunate situation of breakdown.